Sunday, February 13, 2011

This Is How Much I Love My Writing Group

On Wednesday night, I brought the worst piece of writing to Starbucks.

While I sipped my salted caramel hot chocolate, Christy, Anjie, and Julie's pens went to work, crossing out circling and adding arrows and inserts.

It was an essay I've had in my head for four months, an application for a National Endowment of the Humanities fellowship.

The thing was, my creative juices just weren't flowing. At all. I ended up pretty much writing two opposite things and trying to mash them together.

Nope.

And then, there were the beginnings, all twelve of them:anecdotes, imagery, question, setting, thesis.

It. Was. A. Mess.

But after a few minutes, er, an hour, thanks to my WG, I had ideas!!! And since Wednesday, I've let them sit and stew and get all juicy and yummy.

Today is the day I will take Christy's suggestion to really plug the need for diversity in Southern Oregon. I'll add Julie's argument that our current composition topic, "Terrorism," only fuels the fear our students already have. And I'll answer Anjie's questions about how my past experience will enrich the program.

And that will make a way better four pages than I've got right now.

And I promise. Next week, I'll bring my A game to edit for them.

5 comments:

Christy Raedeke said...

I think all the inspiration came from the bubble tea balls! You always bring great writing, and it's always a pleasure to read and discuss. Most of all, I know I can rely on weds night for some really good laughs.

Catherine Denton said...

That is so wonderful! Critique buddies are the best.

anjie said...

Yeah, what Christy said...

Jennie Englund said...

I tell you girls all the time.

It's comedy I'm writing. Comedy.

BK Mattingly said...

Good luck! I hate when I get stuck on a paper and the few ideas I have for it aren't meshing together right. Gotta love critique partners.