Friday, March 4, 2011

Putting It Out There

Ashland is definitely a place where you can be your quirkiest self. And last night, we were at the very hub of it, at Rees' elementary school talent show.

It was unbelievable: the jokes, the hulu-hooping, the poi dancing/Katy Perry lip-syncing/stomach rolling. There was unicycling, original piano pieces, ventriloquism, all from kindergarten through fifth graders.

What amazed me most was not so much the...um..."talent," but the way these kids just put it all out there. Honestly, when I was in third grade, I never would have squeezed myself into a fluorescent unitard and belted out "Don't Stop Believin'."

How can I do this in writing, I asked myself from Row 28, Seat M. How can I let my story just flow -- with confidence, with uniqueness, with a slight awareness of but not an obsession with what the audience thinks?
It takes ambition, right? And some serious liberation. And just giving it a shot.

Can do?

3 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Did you mean some serious libations? Like shots? LOL. :-)

Jennie Englund said...

GREAT idea, Shannon! You're a genius!

Catherine Denton said...

I know what you mean. I still hesitate before hitting the post button on most days. And in my writing/painting, it's sometimes difficult to stay in the raw, so to speak.
My Blog