Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Emergency!

This morning, the first thing I did was wipe up spilled grape juice. No problem. Then I made French toast and eggs for breakfast and peanut butter sandwich lunches, and reminded everyone a thousand times to brush their teeth and get on their shoes and take their homework. Again, no problem. We walked to school, and I slapped a conclusion on my new novel, and after school, I made the littles a vegetarian feast, then picked up Dominic from taiko, then slathered sunscreen all over Daney and got her ready for softball, and made pizza from scratch. No problem, no problem, no problem. I told Reesie to play outside every time he got too loud in the house, which was about every eight to ten minutes during a two hour period. But, no problem. There was some Nerf gun drama. and, if you can believe it, still no problem! I cleaned up the kitchen and cut Reesie's hair and put him in the shower and picked up the wet clothes off the floor, and did two loads of laundry, and I was starting to get just the slightest bit peeved, when Daney called from the living room that the keyboard my friend had lent her was missing the cord that Reesie had taken off.

PROBLEM!!!!


I had suddenly hit the maximum allowance of letting things go.

I yelled, then, and Reesie cried, and Daney fled, and Dominic told me I'm always mad, all the time.

When The Husband called from the fire station and asked me how my day was and I told him all this, even after running seven calls, he said, "Geez, babe. Sounds rough. I'm sorry."

At least there's someone out there who understands.

2 comments:

StaffPicks said...

Now that's a mom we can believe in!
Rock on.
I just read about a writer who lives with her husband and their collection of seaglass. Helloooooo. See Jennie Englund for an example of doing it all.
Gotta go my 11 year old dingdong forgot his instrument. Again. bye.

Jennie Englund said...

Right, Paul: I'm doing it all. Just not well.