Monday, February 22, 2010

Up and Cumming

NOTE: THE LINK AT THE END OF THIS POST HAS A SECOND OF A BARE BREAST; THE WOMAN IN IT HAS DISCOVERED BREAST CANCER.
It started with "Circle of Friends," the 1995 Irish movie of Maeve Binchy's novel. We all loved Benny, right? Minnie Driver's frumpy yet lovable character.

Even better than Benny was her vexxing suitor, Sean Walsh, played by (sigh) Alan Cumming.

I. Was. Smitten.

A couple years later, Dave told me he wanted to get me tickets to the Sacramento production of "Cabaret."

"There are all kinds of people dancing around in their underwear," he said. "I saw the commercial on TV. You'd love it."

I didn't think I would. So I declined. Besides, I hadn't left my newborn yet.

But when I saw the commercial for myself--with Alan Cumming kick-lining in a white tank top and suspenders--I speed-dialed Dave at work. "You have to get me those tickets!" I told him. (This wasn't the only time Dave has been right; he's nailed it with me and Alicia Keys, and CMT Crossroads' Def Leppard + Taylor Swift, and March Madness' "One Shining Moment.")

I didn't sleep the whole night after my sister, Erika, and I watched the three-hour production. I stayed awake thinking about the story, and the actors, and the costumes. I hummed the songs and contemplated the lyrics.

The next night, I went again. With Dave.

Alan Cumming, unfortunately, wasn't in either production.

But he had won the Tony for his Broadway performance. My first ever Amazon purchase was his cast recording of the musical. I had all his tracks memorized within the day.

The Great Scot has proven to be a better actor than he is writer. I lost a little love over him for penning Tommy's Tale, but Cumming redeemed himself with a powerful guest role on Showtime's "The L Word."

For Cumming at his androgynous best, check out this "L Word" clip. "Changes" refers to Pam Grier's menopause. You'll know (and love) Cumming when you see him.

3 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love his acting, but that picture is a wee bit disturbing! :-)

Jennie Englund said...

I can completely see how the picture is freaky, Shannon.

Since posting, I've been thinking about art and censorship, morals and choice, offensiveness and the First Amendment.

It's tricky.

I've come up with nothing concrete: just more confusion.

Maybe the thinking alone, muddled as it is, is the idea?

I don't know for sure.

Mick said...

Fresh lid, no foolin'...

Now I gotta see Jackie Brown again.