Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Big Wow!

It's over, this first term of the year, and my students wrote the best research papers, got the best grades I've seen in my teaching career.

Part of this is because of a program my community college is piloting: high school graduates with a 3.5 or higher GPA will have 75% of their tuition paid the first year, 100% the second.

So, the valedictorian from South Medford High School was one of my students, adding to the diversity of a college with 25% Hispanic students, ESL and GED programs, workforce training, first-generation college attendees, drug and alcohol recoverees, ranchers, second-career seekers, two-year degree earners, four-year degree hopefuls, unemployed.

She and her fellow Rogue Ambassadors brought a confidence to the classroom. Lively discussion flowed freely and respectfully, papers were structured and clear, speeches were poised and purposeful.

The class is hard, and (from what I've heard), I'm a tougher teacher. But this term, I entered more As into the computer system than ever before, and we celebrated with donuts and Diet Dr. Pepper and a silly class picture.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

That's fantastic! And how cool of that college to offer such a great incentive. Would love to see something like that at from our community colleges.

Catherine Denton said...

That's awesome. Yay for A's!

Kjersten said...

Hooray! I bet you are a great teacher, Jennie.

Angela said...

Congratulations, that's awesome!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I bet you are a wonderful, teacher, Jennie! I would love to take one of your classes. :-)

Jennie Englund said...

Oh -- and the vets! How could I forget the vets, so young, with shrapnel in their heads and hips, the vets who write their descriptive papers with minutes and miles, and all the numbers in between?

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I'll bet you are an awesome teacher. One of the most important things a teacher can do is care about their students' lives. I have a sneaky feeling you are one of those kinds of teachers, Jennie. I'm glad you are enjoying your class this year and your new genre of students.

Anonymous said...

That's great news. I'm also pushing for master writers in my class.