Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Solution

Yes, the Best Kids In The World have been absolutely terrible for going on three weeks now.

There's greed, fussing, fighting, eye-rolling, foot-stomping, under-breath-muttering, enormous mess.

So there's also been a lot of Dave and my sending the kids to their rooms, a lot of having them do jobs together, a lot of crying (from all of us).

This morning, I opened up a book Christy had given me a while ago: Mama Zen. I opened it up to a random page, and read: "Want your kids to be good? Then be good."

I almost cried (some more). It's so simple--being good--but I think I've forgotten that.

Today is a new page, though. A new opportunity. I will try. I will try to be good.

6 comments:

Guinevere said...

That's an awesome parenting thought, and the book Mama Zen sounds really interesting.

Also, parenting sounds terrifying. lol. As someone who hasn't crossed that bridge yet, posts like this make me think that - rewarding as it also is, I'm sure - it sounds straight-up painful.

Anonymous said...

There are many parents that should not have had children. Jennie and Dave are not among them. They are extraordinary parents and, in spite of Jennie's occasional frustrations, her children are wonderful.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Jennie, everyone feels frustrated at times. It sounds like your book Mama Zen did exatly the right thing for you...it let you stop, sit back, and think about what you want to project to your kiddos. Your "voice" will reflect back to you...I know when I'm frazzled my whole house is frazzled. (Can you imagine how it was this summer? YIKES!)

Have a peaceful, joyful week. :D Oh, and course have some laughs...

Christy Raedeke said...

I still find it hard to believe that your children can be difficult at home! They are the most well-behaved, polite, selfless children I know. You and Dave have done an amazing job - there might be rough days with hormones and black moods and bad biorhythms, but you've made some incredible humans.

Angela said...

I hope things get easier at home. My kids really drain my patience some days. I know that's my problem, not their, but I swear it's harder to be patient when you have to listen to all that whining and crying.

anjie said...

I'm with Anonymous and the rest of the gang. "Our" family is fabulous. ;)