Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Making A Masterpiece

Inspired by Van Gogh's "Starry Night" over the weekend, I've been wondering if we writers can paint our craft.

Can we add texture--thin in places, sparse in others--evoking an idea, a question, a feeling?
Can we make the story shine--the blues, the golds--in contrasting, then in blended elements?
Can we combine techniques that have been used before us, adding our own layer to the depth?
Will each detail, like brush strokes, add to the whole concept?
Can we reach wide appeal, but speak intimately to our reader? And when she finishes the last word, will she be breathless?
Will our work be remembered?

2 comments:

halsmom said...

I love the way you think - and write. You are amazing and inspiring. Thank you for being on the planet.

Elana Johnson said...

I love all these questions. I used to use The Starry Night in my art class, and now I teach something else. It's gorgeous.