Monday, June 21, 2010

From A Place Of...


...Suffering.

That's where Drain began last winter.

My daughter Daney, almost ten years old, was stuck in a cluster of grand mal seizures. She was tired. She was sore. She missed a lot of school.

It was terrible, watching this kind, bright, lovely girl suffer.

I worried how she'd get through it. I worried how I'd get through it.

Of course, I had stopped going to writing group. I had stopped writing.

Until Christy (who knows I'll try anything she tells me) challenged me to come up with a few new pages. Which, somehow, I did: a story I thought had nothing to do with anything. A story that ended up having everything to do with something--of seeing suffering, without being able to stop it.

That first draft, it was rough. I was writing it on two hours of sleep, between ambulance rides and hospital visits and EEGs. I was was writing it with Daney tucked into bed beside me.

The voice came out hollow, realistic but cautious, sad, and slow.

Exactly the way I felt during those dark winter months.

6 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, you can't stop there, Jennie - hurry up and do the next post! Please?! I want to know everything! :-)

How is Daney doing now?

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

How is Daney doing now? I can't imagine how scary it must be for your family. I don't have any wonderful words of wisdom, as I've not gone through anything like this. Take care of each other and enjoy every momment you have together. Kids grow up to quickly...

Anonymous said...

Why isn't the comment posting thing working today?

Ken said...

Sharon K. Mayhew, did you just coin a brand new word to describe a special moment between a daughter and her mom...a "momment"? Nice!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

It's Wed. Jennie, and I have an award for you! :-)

Jennie Englund said...

Daney is doing so much better now. The seizures are fewer and quicker. There will be a day when she doesn't have them anymore. But these years she does, they're hard.