Thursday, June 3, 2010

"Part" Time

It's over, my fifth year of teaching at Rogue Community College.

At the end there, it got a little crazy. But I made it, and not only through 7 writing classes at 3 different levels, with around 200 students, and maybe 2,000 pages of grading.

I made it, despite our house's having swine flu, chicken pox, fifth disease, and two broken noses.

Around my teaching, life happened. Dominic did basketball and track. Daney had fewer seizures than last year; she played piano and read through the whole kids' section of the library. Rees strummed "I Feel Good" to a packed audience.

Dave fought a few huge fires, and several smaller ones (some right here at home).

In eight months, I went to Seattle, Sacramento (four times), San Diego, Mexico.

I revised a book.

And now, we're leaving for Auburn again. My brother, Mac, graduates from high school. There's a pirate party, of course, and a surprise slide show that Steven and I have been working on.

So more from there, later.

But for now, I'll say this: my year, it was nothing.

I sketched out a little prose of what went on in my classroom in this last term. Sure, I'll post it, and it's all true. But you'll never, ever believe it.

3 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I'm jealous. We don't finish until next Tuesday. On Wednesday, I can be free. I can't wait! :-)

anjie said...

Hope Mac doesn't read this and spoil his surprise!

Have fun. I'm dying to hear how your performance of "Popular" goes when you sing it in front of everybody as his graduation present. ;)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

My daughter goes until next Thursday...and boy is she tired of school! I hope you have a wonderful summer.

I'll beleive anything you put up here. I had a student get up in class and do the chicken dance while I was taping a lesson for the principal. LOL, that was some year!